Admission Policy : MSc in Physics (Astrophysics)
Total number of seats
Total number of seats for MSc in Physics (specialisation: Astrophysics) course is 20 to 25.
Duration of the course
Minimum duration for MSc in Physics (specialisation: Astrophysics) course is two years.
Maximum fees for the course is Rs 95000.00 per year. A Scholorship of Rs 20000.00 per year may be provided to select students strictly on academic merit. This fees includes the cost of field trips. In addition to this fees the applicant has to pay Rs 1500.00 (non refundable) towards admission processing fees.
- Starting of acceptance of online applications : 1 June 2019 ( Click here for application form. )
- Last date for applying online (extended) : 3 July 2019, 3pm
- Intimation for interview : 10 July 2019
- Fees payment : 25 July 2019
- Course begins : 05 August (tentative)
Bachelor’s degree in science with Physics as one of the major subjects at the final year or equivalent from any recognized university.
Documents to be kept ready before filling up the application form
- Scanned copy of Aadhar card if Indian citizen.(pdf)
- Scanned copy of consolidated BSc mark list. If the final semester result is not out, mark lists up to penultimate semester to be submitted. (pdf)
- Statement Of Purpose* (up to 500 words) (pdf)
- Recommendation letter from any one of your teachers (pdf)
- Scanned copy of Competitive exams: score/rank**. (pdf)
- List of Co-curricular activities# (pdf)
- List of Extracurricular activities## (pdf)
- Passport size Photo (jpg)
Application will be considered only if documents 1, 2, 3, 4 and 8 given above are submitted. Others – whichever is available.
For any difficultiy / enquiry please write to email@example.com
- Fill up the application form with relevent information and data.
- Upload all the documents on the link provided for this purpose.
- At the end it will direct you to pay the admission processing fees (Rs1500) on the portal.
- No changes in the application form will be allowed after the processing fees have been paid.
- On the basis of application form data applicants will be shortlisted for an interview. Number of such applicants will be roughly 2 times the total number of seats available.
- For local applicants it will be a personal interview. For outstation applicants an interview with the help of a video link can be arranged.
- Admissions will be offered on the basis of a consolidated merit list which will include weightages of all the documents and interview.
- Once admission is offered applicant will have to pay the fees before a stipulated date failing which offer will be given to next wait listed candidate.
- At the time of admission all original documents in support of the above needs to be presented for verification failing which the admission offer will be withdrawn.
*Statement of purpose should explain why you want to do MSc Physics (Astrophysics) at St. Xavier's College, Mumbai.**NGPE, JAM, IISER, MSc entrance exam or any other national level exam.#Science projects, poster presentations etc., certified project reports are to be shown at the time of the interview.##Sports or cultural activities, and levels achieved: for e.g. national or state representation etc.
The admission will be based on the following 4 criteria and their weightages:
- BSc Grades 30%
- Recommendation letter, Statement of Purpose & Competitive exams score/rank. 20%
- Co-curricular & Extracurricular activities 30%
- Subject Interview 20%
- Management Quota 15% of total number of seats.
- Christian Minority quota of 50% of remaining seats.
- Persons with disability quota* 5% of seats after 1 and 2.
- Special quota** 3% after 1 and 2.
If candidates are not available from reserved category then the seats will be offered to general category candidates.
*Special Category refers to Wards of Transferred State / Central Government and Private Sector employees, employees of Defense Department / Ex- Servicemen. Wards of Freedom Fighter Award Winners at District/State/National Level in Sports or Cultural Activities